RSS Feed

Long day @ UCSF

Posted on

Yesterday my transplant coordinator called and said that she was concerned about how much pain I have been having. She said that she wanted me to go to the clinic tomorrow (Tuesday mornings the liver transplant clinic is specifically for post-transplant liver patients and every week it varies which doctors work the clinic, and which doctor you will see). I called my coordinator back yesterday evening and told her I was doing a bit better and we agreed that if I was indeed better this morning, I wouldn’t go and if I was worse, then I would go ahead and come to my clinic appointment.

Well last night, after About 10 minutes of laying in bed, I was in tears. It takes a lot to make me cry these days because I now know what real pain is. I had to pull a roly poly move to get out of bed. Coleman tells me that I am a roly poly because when I am in pain, I curl up in a ball and when I need to get out of bed I have to rock back and forth and roll side to side. It’s awesome.

So, after 10 minutes I had to leave my beloved bed and move to the chair to sleep (which is where I have ended up the last 3 nights from pain preventing me from sleeping). I still didn’t sleep well in the chair and when I woke up with the sun this morning, I knew I needed to keep my appointment… or go to ER! The pain was intense. Think of lemmings starting a massive inferno in your stomach because that is exactly what my stomach felt like, constantly. At least if I kept the appointment, they would know what to do with me properly as UCSF is familiar with transplants, where as Kaiser, well not so much.

After my appointment with the doctor, he asked that I go get an ultrasound. At this point the pain was so bad that Coleman had to get me a wheelchair because I could barely walk. The ultrasound showed that I have a small hematoma on the edge of my liver. They weren’t too concerned about it and said that it’s common and should reabsorb on it’s own. Thankfully the other hematoma (blood clot) that was on my incision 2 days ago had disappeared by today. So no worries there. My arteries in my liver are flowing perfectly. I also got to see my new liver for the first time. Boy, oh boy! Literally… it is a big boy sized liver. =) That must be why it is working so well, mr gigantor blood filter. Then, we had to wait again and have a 2nd ultrasound done by the radiologist (not the tech). Then we had to wait for my doctor to call us to tell us we could go home or if we were going to be admitted… Talk about hurry up and wait… which is not any fun when you have a pain level of 8! We were there for 4-5 hours!

They did give us the OK to go home though. They gave me some suggestions for the pain and also decreased my cellcept (one of my antirejection meds) that can have side-effects of stomach issues. I hope these suggestions will help and the pain will subside sooner than later! Sorry for such a boring post…. it was kind of a blah day, even the weather was overcast. On the bright side, the doctor said I can take baths now, that my incision has healed up nicely! There is only one spot that still has a scab on it!

Dear Summer,
Please come back! I miss you and the smiling sunshine.
Your biggest fan

I hope had a terrific Tuesday!


About Kortni

I received a living donor liver transplant from my amazing and selfless sister, when it failed, I got a 2nd transplant 4 days later from my other hero! I have an amazing family and wonderful, supportive boyfriend. I love hiking, photography, natural health care, being outdoors and crafts. Did I mention that Jesus is my best friend and He has blessed me immeasurably!

2 responses »

  1. It feels endless, doesn’t it? My heart goes out to you and here’s a great big hug for your terrific attitude! Hang in there–you’re really doing such an incredible job of staying positive and honoring the process. And I can’t tell you how good it is to hear that you are receiving such excellent care.

    Just out of curiosity, is there anything you need? Something you’ve been thinking about or jonesing for or wanting to hear, see, do, etc.?

    • It does feel endless… I just want to fast forward a few months sometimes, but then I know I wouldn’t gain the strength of going through the process. I love your sweet comments. And you are right, I am very blessed to have such an awesome team. Now if only I could see my fiance more, I would be a happy girl…

      I am crazy sad today because this week Coleman starts working jobs 4 & 5! I will only get to see him every other week for a day or two until Christmas. Going from seeing him everyday to 4 days a month… ugh.. .It could be worse, he could be in the army or something but still, post transplant….. I don’t know, it can be hard, especially because we are so close, he is my best friend! I can’t wait to get married!!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: